I am officially done hosting kids' birthday parties for the year. Hurray!
While I enjoyed planning my daughter's girly-party and my son's manly pizza-and-skate soiree, and each event went smoothly, I'm always glad to be done with the round of hostings.
I think they should make an episode of Survivor in which the teams of challengers are dropped off at several suburban locations and forced to deal with the following obstacles:
- Crying child who may or may not be on the verge of throwing up
- Bored child who decides to make things livelier by trying to hide in the fridge
- Guest is dropped off shortly before the party ends and is picked up an hour after everyone else has gone home.
- Spoiled, ungrateful guest who announces, "This is stupid." Extra points for not kicking him. More extra points if you DO kick him.
- Parent drops off a child and then informs you that the kid is allergic to every food item you are serving.
- Guests whose parents responded that they would come never appear.
- Guests whose parents did not RSVP magically appear.
- Spouse just happens to get sick the day of the party and is forced to spend that time in bed resting and watching TV instead of helping you.
- Spouse just happens to get sick the day of the party but tries to help anyway and is useless.
The team that survives a party at Chuck E. Cheese without trying to kill that damn singing mouse wins.
Now THAT I would watch.